Makes 2 cups
- 2 inch knob fresh turmeric
- Good pinch of black pepper
- 2 pods of cardamom
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- Cinnamon to taste
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil or ghee
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk/oat milk or almond milk
- 1 cup pure water
- 2 tsps raw manuka honey or 4 drops of Vanilla flavoured Stevia
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
Creamy, mildy sweet and fragrant with the potent flavors of turmeric, cardamom, nutmeg, fennel and cinnamon, Golden Milk is a nourishing drink, so warming and perfect for any time of the day. It can be drunk cold on a hot summer day.
- Peel the turmeric and blend it in a blender with some of the milk.
- Pour the milk and water into a saucepan mix in the blended turmeric.
- With a pestle and mortar crush the cardamom and fennel, add to the milk.
- Add cinnamon, nutmeg and pepper to the milk.
- Cover the saucepan and simmer gently on low to medium heat until little bubbles appear.
- Turn off the heat and let the golden milk tea steep in there for about 10 min.
- Strain the golden milk through a fine-mesh strainer or tea strainer into a tea pot or 2 cups.
- While serving in the cup add 1 tsp of ghee or coconut oil into the cup, sweetener of your choice and vanilla extract. Enjoy this amazing elixir!
Ayurvedic Perspective: It is a very calming and balancing all the three Humors (Doshas in Sanksrit) – Vata (air and ether elements), Pitta (water and fire elements), Kapha (water and earth elements).