- 250 gm or 2 cups flour – a mix of spelt whole meal, spelt white and almond flour. Gluten Free – please use pure almond flour or mix of tapioca, rice, buckwheat and almond flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of himalayan salt
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- finely grated zest and juice of 1 – 2 organic lemons
- 100 gm organic coconut oil, if using almond flour, reduce the oil a little
- 100 g or 1/3 cup raw organic sugar plus 6 drops stevia OR use 10 medjool dates pureed
- 2 organic eggs. Vegan option – please omit eggs, no replacement needed
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- some almond milk if required to get the right consistency
- 2 organic apples peeled, cored and grated
- 1 organic apple peeled, cored and sliced in thin wedges for putting on the cake
Preheat oven to 170 C. Mix the dry ingredients and keep aside. Beat eggs, add coconut oil and sugar and beat until pale and creamy. Add stevia, apple cider vinegar, vanilla essence, milk and mix well. Add the lemon juice and zest and fold in grated apples and dry ingredients. Pour into a round cake tin lined with a baking paper and smooth the top. Decorate the apple wedges in a circle. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean in the center.
Glaze – In a small pan gentle heat juice of half lemon, 1 tbsp icing sugar and 1 tsp coconut oil. Glaze it on the warm cake. Or glaze with a mix of honey and lemon juice. Serve with whipped coconut cream or coconut ice cream.
Ayurvedic and Nutritional Perspective
This cake is low in sugar and wholesome. Addition of apple increases the nutritional value and soluble fiber. It is moist cake and therefore suitable for Vata and Pitta. It is comforting and full of flavor. A cake for all times and seasons. You will fall in love with it! Vegan, gluten and dairy free versions make it even more versatile.