Packed full of nutrition, flavour and crunch, nothing beats a home made granola. The best part is you know what goes in and it is way more economical than buying the packaged granola. By making your own you are also reducing waste. The recipe below is an indication. You can of course go free style and mix what you fancy and what you have at hand. This is a very forgiving recipe.
This recipe is an adaptation and inspiration from a recipe made and lovingly shared with me by my client Erin Dougherty
Ingredients to roast in oven:
- 3 cups rolled oats or any other type of oats – you can choose gluten free oats if gluten sensitive
- 1/4 cup each of almonds, pumpkin seeds and cashews and desiccated or shaved coconut
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 pinches salt
- 1/4 cup each of coconut oil and maple syrup/coconut nectar/agave syrup
- 4 drops stevia – optional
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
Ingredients to mix after roasting:
- 1/2 to 1 cup dried fruits of your choice – cut up figs, apricots, cranberries, incan berries, raisins
- 2 tbsp cacao nibs
- 1 to 2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
Preheat the oven to 140C. In a bowl mix all the dry ingredients to roast. In a small bowl mix in the wet ingredients – oil, sweetener, stevia and vanilla. Add the wet to the dry and mix in with your hands so everything is covered. Add a little water if needed to mix well. Place it in a baking tray and roast for about 30 to 40 min. Make a timer for 10 min intervals to turn it over in between.
When its golden, take it out. Let it cool and add chopped dried fruit and nibs. Store in an airtight glass jar. Enjoy with milk of your choice or sprinkle on salads!
- this is a vegan recipe
- for gluten free option use gluten free oats