Pregnancy and Motherhood
Pregnancy and motherhood is a sacred experience and a woman needs special care during that time. A therapeutic healing massage done with conscious care and love can be a great way to balance the body, soothe the mind and nourish the soul of a mother-to-be. While a woman is pregnant her body undergoes numerous changes physically as well as physiologically and spiritually. The physical changes can cause stress and or discomfort to the mother. Massage is a wonderful way to help alleviate many of these discomforts, as well as promotes a sense of well-being.
Healing benefits of Ayur-Pregnancy Massage
Pregnancy massage is beneficial throughout the entire nine months of the pregnancy. However in the first trimester extra care is needed. Massage can be used not only during the pregnancy but also just before birth to make the birthing process easier for the body and release any stress that mother might be feeling. Massage also helps to restore the balance after birth and prevents post natal depression. Postpartum massage will help to restore restore the body to its pre-pregnant condition and prevents post natal depression. It also addresses the stress of carrying and caring for a newborn. Postpartum massage helps tone and strengthen abdonimal muscles and can help shrink the uterus and relieve subcutaneous scar tissue. It may be given as early as 24 hours after delivery in a vaginal delivery but only with written permission from your doctor or midwife.
- Increases blood circulation and oxygen in the blood, thereby delivering more oxygen and nutrients to the baby.
- Activates the lymphatic system thus helping the body to gently detox and increase a sense of well being and uplift the mood.
- Stimulates the release of endorphins, the body’s natural pain killers, into the brain and nervous system, thus helping to relieve anxiety or depression.
- Reduces overall stress, improves the quality of sleep and feeling refreshed next morning.
- Provides support for the new mother with physical and emotional strains of mothering.
- Relief from muscle cramps, spasms, and myofascial pain, especially in the lower back, neck, hips, and legs.
- Reduces inflammation and swelling in ankles and feet.
- Tones up and strenghtens lose muscles and increases flexibility.
- Strengthens the immune system.
What to expect from Ayur – Pregnancy Massage
During your session, you will lie comfortably on a padded and warmed massage table in the most comfortable position for you, so you can get totally relaxed during the treatment. There will be plenty of towels and soft cushions to support your posture. You will be draped with a soft sheet and blanket and only the body part that is being worked will be exposed. The temperature in the room will be comfortable warm, soft background music playing in the background. It is best to avoid eating a large meal or drinking large amounts of liquids before the massage.
After the second trimester, its advised to lie on the side and not on your back or tummy. This is the best position for your back, hips and legs to feel relaxed during the treatment.
My massage session takes at least 60 minutes and can go up to 90 minutes. Special prenatal massage techniques and gentle stretches will release the tension from the stiff or sore areas. I will work on your back, neck, arms, shoulders, head, feet. The body change with pregnancy and so does its requirements. My treatments are designed in such a way that I can fully customises them according to your wish and needs in a safe and conscious manner.
Please give me a call to discuss your requirements.
60 Min Ayur- Pregnancy Massage – $65
90 min Ayur – Pregnancy Massage – $90
Series of 5 sessions on Concession Fee
5 sessions series – 60 min each – $275
5 sessions series – 90 min each – $400