Zucchini Twists are a refreshing, gorgeous and nutrient dense snack or party food. I am sharing my recipe that I created last Christmas when I was invited to a party. This recipe is ideal for people who choose to be vegan, gluten and diary free. I have given dairy option as well.
- Zucchini is a dark green vegetable and full of soluble fiber, vitamins esp Vit C, minerals, potassium in particular and phytonutrients that help fight inflammation. It is low in carbs and calories, very versatile and can be used in sweet and savory dishes
- Tofu is made of soy and has high amount of protein, minerals and vitamins. If eaten in moderation tofu is a great alternative to meat and eggs.
- Medjool Dates are high in fiber and wholesome complex sugars. They help relieve constipation, give energy, decrease cholesterol, boost bone health due to being high in calcium and are a rich source of anthocyanins that help stimulate the immune system.
- Figs have high levels of antioxidants and polyphenols making it a amazing health food that helps boost immunity and longevity. They are high in potassium and fiber and many other nutrients.
- Olives help reduce cholesterol and high blood pressure, relieve pain, boost heart health and provide polyphenols and antioxidants.
- 1 zucchini
- 1/2 pack of marinated tofu or feta (if using dairy)
- few fresh medjool dates or figs, cut in halves
- olives cut in halves
- cherry tomatoes
- toothpicks or barbeque sticks
- lemon or mandarin juice
Slice or shave the zucchini lengthwise with a vegetable peeler. Cut the feta/tofu in cubes.
Begin arranging by putting the toothpick through the olive, one end of zucchini, date/fig, feta/tofu, the other end of zucchini and tomato. This can be arranged in any manner, this is the fun part and kids would love to do this. Sprinkle a dash or lemon or mandarin juice to give it extra freshness. Enjoy fresh. Any leftovers can be kept in a glass container and stay fresh for 2 days.
Cut tofu into cubes. In a bowl mix a little of everything – soya sauce/shoyu/tamari, mandarin juice, sesame/olive oil, balsamic vinegar. Add this to the cubed tofu pieces and let sit for 30 min or longer. It can be done a night before as well and leave in the fridge.
This dish has high prana/chi or life force. It is ideal for all doshas – Vata, Pitta and Kapha, especially in warmer months.
Check out my other gluten & dairy free recipes here