In hot summer days it can get quite uncomfortable. Many people experience low appetite, feel lethargic, achy and tired due to heat or poor sleep. I would like to share a few tips on how to keep your vitality and balanced during these hot summer days.
- Support your liver with bitter foods and herbs like – chicory, dandelion, yarrow and milk thistle. Eat daily some amount of bitters in the form of tea or salads or a herbal liver supplement. This will help the liver to process excess heat and keep the body and mind cool and balanced. It will will also support the appetite.
- Proper hydration is a key factor. Drink pure filtered water, coconut water (full of electrolytes). Start your day with a large glass of warm water to which the juice of a lemon and some celtic salt is added.
- Kombucha is a probiotic rich drink full of nutrients. It is hydrating and refreshing. A great addition to summer drinks.
- Eat juicy fruits and vegetables like cucumber, watermelon, honey melon etc. These will not only quench your thirst but also give minerals and vitamins besides a delicious snack.
- Once a week go on liquid foods like fresh vegetable juice and smoothies. It will give your digestive system a break from solid foods. Juices and smoothies are highly nutritious and easy to digest. A great way to boost your system and load up with nutrients.
- Cut out the alcohol, sugar, spices and caffeine for some time. It is acidic in nature and creates more body heat. Try substitutes like chicory and dandelion coffee, whole sugar like coconut sugar, agave syrup.
- Be kind to yourself! Go slow and easy. Take rest during the day if you need to as the heat can make us feel tired.