- 11/2 cups chopped dates
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 150mls boiling water
- 100g coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 ¼ tsp Baking Powder
- pinch Salt
- 1 cup dessicated Coconut flakes
- Vanilla essence
- 1 grated carrot
- Coconut Cream chilled for whipping and serving
- In a bowl sprinkle dates with the soda. Pour boiling water over them. Stir until soda dissolved and stand for 10-15 min. When cooled , blend to make a puree.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and pinch salt.
- Beat the eggs, add coconut oil and beat further. Mix in date puree. Fold in gently the dry ingredients and grated carrot. Add almond milk if needed to get the right consistency.
- Pour into a deep well greased and floured 20cm cake tin or deep pie plate. Bake at 190C for 20 min, reduce to 180C and bake for 30 min or until skewer comes out clean.
- Enjoy with a freshly whipped Coconut Cream.