- 1 cup blanched almond flour or blanched almond pulp after making almond milk
- 1.5 cup white spelt flour or rice flour for gluten free option
- 1 tsp each of baking powder and baking soda, good pinch salt
- 1 tsp each of cinnamon & cardamom
- 1 egg ( please omit if vegan as it is optional)
- 2 – 3 oranges
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or jaggery
- 60 gms melted coconut oil
- 70% dark chocolate broken in small pieces and some cashews or any other nuts of choice for decoration on top
Mix the flour, salt and baking soda and baking powder and spices in a bowl. Zest the oranges, then peel them, puree the pulp in a blender. In a separate bowl, whip the egg, add sugar, oil, zest and pureed orange pulp. Gently fold in the dry mix. Add some water if required for the right consistency for a cake. Pour in a loaf tin and decorate with the chocolate pieces and cashews. Bake in pre-heated oven at 180C until the skewer comes clean approximately 35 min. When cooled take out from the loaf tin and dust with some icing sugar if you like. I love it warm and with some whipped cream or cashew cream or milk kefir.
Ayurvedic Nutritional Perspective:
Vata and Pitta nourishing cake with all the goodness from almonds, spelt flour, coconut oil and sweet spices.