makes about 4 to 6 depending on the size of your pan.
- 1 cup wholemeal spelt flour or gluten free flour of your choice (almond, tapiocs, rice, buckwheat, oat)
- 1 cup dairy free milk of your choice. I use almond or coconut milk
- 1 tbsp coconut or jaggery sugar
- 1/2 tsp himalayan pink salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 egg – vegans opt out for egg
- 2 bananas mashed
- 2 tbsp Yellow Gelatinised Maca (optional)
- extra bananas sliced in circles
- some coconut oil for cooking
- To make chocolate hotcakes you can add 1-2 tbsp of cocoa powder and increase the sugar to 2 tbsp or add 2-3 drops of stevia
- To make gluten free hotcakes use Chickpea / Besan flour or Tapioca flour / Rice flour / Buckwheat flour
- To make vegan hotcakes omit egg and use 2 tsp baking powder
- dark chocolate pieces
- roasted nuts
- whipped coconut cream or dairy cream
- vanilla or chocolate ice cream
- maple syrup / honey / tahini / almond butter
Mix flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, maca and cinnamon in a bowl. Add egg and milk and mix gently. Add mashed bananas and fold in gently. Do not over mix. The batter will be of thick and lumpy consistency. Heat some coconut oil in a non stick pan. Pour some of the batter. Place round slices of bananas on top. Once the bottom side is golden brown, flip over and cook the other side with bananas until the bananas are caramalized. Serve on a plate.
Serving ideas: Sprinkle the chocolate pieces on the hotcake and let them melt. Add a handful of roasted nuts, a dollop of whipped cream and enjoy warm! OR Drizzle with almond butter / tahini / molasses / honey / maple syrup / or serve with vanilla or chocolate ice cream. Enjoy!
Ayurvedic and Nutritional Properties:
Wholemeal Spelt flour is high in fiber and nutrients. Bananas are powerhouse of nutrition packed with minerals. This dish, can be eaten for breakfast or anytime of the day. Equally loved by kids and adults.
Ayurvedically, it is a nourishing and grounding dish and great for Vata and Pitta constitution. People with Kapha constitution need to eat these in moderation only as they can make then heavy and sluggish.