- 3 cups ground almonds, oats and coconut
- ⅓ tsp Salt
- 50g coconut oil to make it stick together
- 1 cup (175g) Pitted Dates (tightly packed)
- ½ cup (120ml) Coconut Cream and some water
- 150gms of dark chocolate
- Optional – crushed nuts – almonds, brazils and cashews for decoration
- Dessicated coconut for decoration
- Add the oats and dessicated coconut into a food processor, process until crumbly, add ground almonds, salt and coocnut oil and pulse until well mixed.
- Layer an 8x8 inch square dish with baking or waxed paper, then add the dough and flatten it out evenly across the base.
- To make the date caramel, first place the dates in a bowl and pour some warm water to soften them. After 1 hr place the dates with the water and coconut cream in a blender and blend until smooth. Heat this caramel sauce in a pot.
- Add the date caramel to the top of the shortbread and smooth out evenly. Place into the fridge to set.
- When the date caramel layer is completely cold and slightly set, it’s time to make the chocolate topping.
- Melt the dark chocolate over a double boiler or in the microwave by microwaving and then stopping to stir every 30 seconds or so until entirely melted.
- Add the melted chocolate on top of the date caramel, sprinkle the crushed nuts and dessicated coconut and then place into the fridge or freezer to set completely.
- When it’s entirely set, cut into squares. To prevent breakage, place a very sharp knife into hot water, then wipe off with a paper towel and cut. Then dip in hot water and wipe off again and cut again. Don’t do more than one cut without heating and cleaning the knife.
- Keep in an airtight container in fridge or freezer. Take it out for 20 min before eating.