- 250 gm or 2 cups flour – a mix of spelt wholemeal, spelt white and almond flour. Gluten Free – please use pure almond flour or mix of tapioca, rice, buckwheat and almond flour
- ½ tsp aluminium free baking soda
- ½ tsp aluminium free baking Powder
- pinch of himalayan salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- finely grated zest and juice of 1 – 2 organic lemons
- 115 gm organic coconut oil
- 3 to 4 tbsp organic coconut cream or ½ cup organic yogurt
- 100 g or 1/3 cup raw organic sugar plus 6 drops stevia OR use 10 medjool dates pureed
- 2 organic eggs. Vegan option – please omit eggs, no replacement needed
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 organic apples peeled, cored and grated
- 2 organic apples peeled, cored and sliced in thin wedges for putting on the cake
- White dairy free chocolate chipts and pecans for decorating
Preheat oven to 170 C. Mix the dry ingredients and keep aside. Beat eggs, add coconut oil and sugar and beat until pale and creamy. Add stevia, apple cider vinegar, vanilla essence, cream /yogurt and beat. Add the lemon juice and finely grated zest and fold in grated apples and dry ingredients. Pour into a round cake tin lined with a baking paper and smooth the top. Decorate the apple wedges in a circle. Add some pecans and white chocolate buttons in between. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean in the center.
Glaze – In a small pan gentle heat juice of half lemon, 1 tbsp icing sugar and 1 tsp coconut oil. Glaze it on the warm cake. Serve with whipped cream.
Ayurvedic and Nutritional Perspective
This cake is low in sugar and wholesome. Addition of apple increases the nutritional value and soluble fiber. It is light in texture and therefore suitable for all constitutions – Vata, Pitta and Kapha. It is warming and comforting and full of flavor. A cake for all times and seasons. You will fall in love with it! Vegan, gluten and dairy free versions make it even more versatile.